Saturday, May 28, 2016
Text Size

Discarded Cigarette Starts Fire

(Le Mars) -- It was a smoke detector that alerted residents of a small house fire.  A discarded burning cigarette thrown in a trash receptacle was responsible for the Le Mars Fire Department responding to a call at 472 17th Street Southeast.  The call came in at about 12:26 p.m. Minor smoke damage was sustained in the home, along with damage to the trash bin and indoor carpeting.  The cause for the fire was determined to be accidental.   Improperly discarded smoking materials ignited garbage in a trash can.   Firefighters were on scene for less than one hour and were assisted at the scene by the Le Mars Police Department.   Damage is estimated at around $1500.00.


Search KLEM

Copyright 2010, Powell Broadcasting, Website developed by iCast Interactive