Thursday, October 30, 2014
   
Text Size
Banner

Tuesday Afternoon News, September 17

Le Mars City Council Approves Highway 75 Business Renovation Project

(Le Mars) -- Businesses along Highway 75 and Highway 3 will have the opportunity to get financial assistance from the city for renovation projects, thanks to a resolution adopted by the Le Mars City Council. City Administrator Scott Langel says the program is patterned after the Community Building Development Grant that was approved for downtown businesses.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.



Langel explains which commercial businesses are eligible, and which are not eligible, for the matching grant.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.




He says interested businesses should first fill out an application and present it to Mary Reynolds.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.



The city official shares how the city plans to finance the projects.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

 

Goodchild and Knapp Submit Nomination Papers

(Le Mars) -- Real estate agent Clark Goodchild and Public Accountant Rex Knapp have both submitted nomination papers to be candidates seeking a position on the city council.
Goodchild is looking to represent Le Mars citizens in Ward 1.  Knapp is already a member
of the city council and is seeking re-election for an At-large position.  Councilman John Leonard presently holds the position representing Ward 1.  Leonard previously submitted his nomination papers seeking re-election which will place Leonard against Goodchild in the election.  Candidates wishing to run for city council or mayor have until Thursday, September 19th to file nomination papers.


Argosy Casino Asking Judge To Stop Construction On Hard Rock Casino

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - The owner of the Argosy riverboat casino in Sioux City has asked a state judge to stop construction on a Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in downtown Sioux City.
Attorneys for Argosy parent Penn National Gaming Co. filed the motion in Polk County District Court on Monday. Penn is seeking to stop the construction until its lawsuit against the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission over the commission's selection process for the new casino is resolved.
Work began in July on the $128.5 million Hard Rock casino.
Last month, state regulators denied the Argosy's request to renew its state gambling license. But the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission did not set a closing date for the floating casino.
---

 

Official Says Juvenile Home Making Progress, But More Needs To Be Done

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - The director of a disability rights group says improvements are underway at the Iowa Juvenile Home in Toledo, but there is still work to do.
Jane Hudson, of Disability Rights Iowa, told the Iowa Senate Government Oversight Committee on Tuesday that the home has stopped using long-term isolation rooms and has reduced the use of restraint and seclusion.
But Hudson says the home still needs to improve the quality of care and should be subject to greater oversight.
Disability Rights Iowa is a federally funded group that has been investigating treatment of children at the home, including the use of isolation cells
Department of Human Services Director Chuck Palmer says the state is addressing the problems at the home and is committed to a higher standard of care.

 

Ankeny Man Pleads Guilty To Killing Daughter

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - An Ankeny man has pleaded guilty in the shooting death of his daughter and will face up to five years in prison when he's sentenced next month.
51-year-old Scott Merle Hazelbaker pleaded guilty Tuesday to involuntary manslaughter in the death of 18-year-old Emily Hazelbaker last June in the apartment they shared.
Ankeny police and Hazelbaker's attorneys say the shooting appeared to be accidental. Hazelbaker thought his gun's safety was on when he pointed the weapon at his daughter.
Hazelbaker has called his daughter his best friend. Tuesday, he broke down briefly while explaining his daughter's death.
A sentencing hearing is set for Oct. 31. Hazelbaker could be sentenced to up to five years in prison.
He remains free on bond until the hearing.


 

 

Search KLEM

Banner

"

Banner

Stock Market

1 DOW 17,195.42
+221.11 (1.30%)    
2 S&P 1,994.65
+12.35 (0.62%)    
3 NASDAQ 4,566.14
+16.91 (0.37%)    

Copyright 2010, Powell Broadcasting, Website developed by iCast Interactive