Monday, December 29, 2014
   
Text Size
Banner

Car Catches On Fire In Parking Lot

(Le Mars) -- The Le Mars Fire Department was called to a city parking lot Thursday afternoon to extinguish a car fire.  The fire was reported at about 1:10 p.m. in the 10 block of 1st Avenue Northwest, south of the Murphy, Collins, and Bixenman law firm.  When fire officials arrived on the scene, the car's engine was trying to start and smoke was billowing from under the car's hood of a 2001 Chevy Impala which was owned by Terry Nicoson of Le Mars.   Fire officials used pry bars and a saw to gain access to the engine in order to extinguish the fire.  The fire was contained to the engine compartment and all items in the passenger compartment of the car were salvageable.  The vehicle engine is a total loss.  The fire was accidental and appears to have started from an electrical malfunction.  Firefighters were on the scene for approximately 30 minutes and were assisted by the Le Mars Police Department.

Search KLEM

Banner

Copyright 2010, Powell Broadcasting, Website developed by iCast Interactive