Friday News, March 21
Hog Barn Fire Kills 350 Pigs
(Oyens) -- A hog barn one mile west of Oyens, on 160th Street near Otter Avenue caught fire early Friday morning killing all 350 head of feeder pigs. The fire was detected at about 2:00 a.m. when George Dirksen, the owner of the farm, was alerted by an alarm system indicating the barn's temperature was too hot. Both the Oyens and the Le Mars fire departments responded to the barn fire. Upon arriving on the scene, the two story barn was fully engulfed. Fire fighters were shuttling water from both Oyens and Le Mars through out the night. Oyens fire chief Brian Juhl describes the scene.
Fire officials attempted to save the the 70 year old barn, but soon realized their efforts were futile. After nearly two hours, the barn collapsed.
Fire officials were on the scene for nearly five and a half hours. Assisting at the scene were the Plymouth County Sheriff's Department and Mid-American Energy.
Le Mars Residents May Notice Discolored Water Due To Barn Fire
(Le Mars) -- A side note about that barn fire, due to the fact the Le Mars Fire Department had pumped several truck loads of water from the northeast side of town, residents may notice a discoloration in their water today.
Six Fire Departments Fight Field Fire
(Le Mars) -- The Le Mars Fire Department responded to a large field grass fire on Thursday afternoon. The fire was located on 100th Street and Lake Avenue on the border between Plymouth and Sioux Counties about a mile north of Struble. Six different fire departments were called at about 1:30 p.m. to help fight the blaze that destroyed nearly 50 acres. Le Mars Fire Chief Dave Schipper says a spark from a passing train is thought to have started the fire.
Schipper says he initially contacted the Ireton and Maurice fire departments for assistance with their grass rigs, then realized even more help would be needed to control the fire.
Fire officials had to stop the trains while battling the blaze, until such time it was deemed safe for trains to continue traveling on the tracks. Schipper says railroad officials arrived at the scene to inspect the rail ties.
The Le Mars Fire Chief says with the winds, and thawing ground made for adverse conditions in fighting the fire.
Responding to the field grass fire were the Le Mars Fire and Rescue Department, along with fire departments from Maurice, Ireton, Merrill, Orange City, and Sioux Center. Both the Sioux and Plymouth County sheriff's office, and the Iowa State Patrol were at the scene.
Kingsley Fire Department Called To Grass Fire
(Kingsley) -- The Kingsley Fire Department responded to a grass fire Thursday evening at about 6:20 p.m. The fire was located near the intersection of county roads C-70 and K-64. Fire officials were on the scene for nearly an hour.
Le Mars Police Arrest Woman For Shoplifting, Possession Of Drugs
(Le Mars) -- Le Mars Police have arrested a 34 year old Le Mars woman with possession of prescription drugs without a prescription, and in possession of drug paraphernalia. Erica Moon was initially arrested for theft in the fifth degree for shoplifting at the Fareway grocery store. Police later discovered the prescription drugs without a prescription.
Pork Producers To Hold Banquet
(Le Mars) -- The Plymouth County Pork Producers Association will hold its annual banquet this Saturday at the Le Mars Convention Center. The banquet is open to all pork producers who are members of the Plymouth County Pork Producers Association, as well as the general public. The banquet is free to all paid members and the cost is $12.50 a person for non-members and the general public. Dan Sheehan, president of the Plymouth County Pork Producers, gives the highlights of the evening.
|< Prev||Next >|