Friday, October 31, 2014
   
Text Size
Banner

Gasoline Fumes Cause House Fire

(Le Mars) -- The Le Mars Fire Department was called to yet another house fire late Monday afternoon.  The alarm was sounded at about 5:10 p.m. when a house located at 551 Central Avenue Northwest was billowing smoke.  Fire Chief Dave Schipper says the cause of the fire was due to gasoline fumes in the basement that was ignited from a hot water heater pilot light.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

Schipper says the fire fighters were able to control the blaze within a few minutes, but they also wanted to make certain the fire was only contained to the lower level.

 Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

The Le Mars Fire Department has been busy during the last few months having 30 calls in February, 44 calls in March, and already April has produced 11 calls in the first week.  Monday afternoon's house fire makes the third house fire in Le Mars during the past three months.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

Assisting the Le Mars Fire Department was the Merrill Fire Department, MidAmerican Energy, Langel's Electric, Le Mars Ambulance, Le Mars Police Department, and the American Red Cross.  Schipper says the house had five family members living in the dwelling.  Everyone was able to escape the fire without any injuries.  The fire chief estimates the damage at $25,000.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

One good news to this story, fire fighters were able to rescue the two family pet cats from the fire.  The house is owned by Rick Singer, and is being leased by Eric and Brandy Franke.

 

Search KLEM

Banner

"

Copyright 2010, Powell Broadcasting, Website developed by iCast Interactive