Friday, November 21, 2014
   
Text Size
Banner

Tuesday News, April 8

Gasoline Fumes Ignite, Causing House Fire

(Le Mars) -- The Le Mars Fire Department was called to yet another house fire late Monday afternoon.  The alarm was sounded at about 5:10 p.m. when a house located at 551 Central Avenue Northwest was billowing smoke.  Fire Chief Dave Schipper says the cause of the fire was due to gasoline fumes in the basement that was ignited from a hot water heater pilot light.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

Schipper says the fire fighters were able to control the blaze within a few minutes, but they also wanted to make certain the fire was only contained to the lower level.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

The Le Mars Fire Department has been busy during the last few months having 30 calls in February, 44 calls in March, and already April has produced 11 calls in the first week.  Monday afternoon house fire makes the third house fire in Le Mars during the past three months.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

Assisting the Le Mars Fire Department was the Merrill Fire Department, MidAmerican Energy, Langel's Electric, Le Mars Ambulance, Le Mars Police Department, and the American Red Cross.  Schipper says the house had five family members living in the dwelling.  Everyone was able to escape the fire without any injuries.  The fire chief estimates the damage at $25,000.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

One good news to this story, fire fighters were able to rescue the two family pet cats from the fire.  The house is owned by Rick Singer, and was being leased by Eric and Brandy Franke.

 

Supervisors To Hear Report On Domestic Violence

(Le Mars) -- April is recognized as domestic violence and sexual abuse awareness month, and today the Plymouth County Board of Supervisors will hear a report about those topics from Cathy VanMaanen and haley Meis as they will appear before the county governing board.  In addition, JoLynn Goodchild, the county recorder, will submit her quarterly report to the county supervisors.  Tom Rohe, the county engineer will offer another update to the county board.  The supervisors are also expected to review and approve the revised Sioux Rivers Regional Mental Health agreement, and the supervisors will discuss county property in a land transaction to Higman Sand and Gravel for the county pond.

 

City To Continue Flushing Hydrants And Water Mains

(Le Mars) -- Le Mars City water Officials were not able to complete the process of flushing hydrants in the southeast portion of town, so city water crews will continue flushing on Wednesday. They will start at 8:00 a.m. on 3rd Street and 14th Avenue SE, then off Central Avenue on 16th and 18th Street Southeast.  Some discolored water may occur in other parts of the system besides the area's mentioned.  If you notice discolored water, try to refrain from using hot water and monitor the clarity with hard cold water.  This may be your outside hose bib.

 

Hospital Trustees To Meet

(Le Mars) -- The Floyd Valley Hospital Board of Trustees are scheduled to meet this morning.  The trustees will review the financial situation from Daryl Friedenbach, as well as hear a medical update from Dr. Sheila Holcomb, and an administrative report that will also cover the progress on the north addition expansion project from hospital administrator Mike Donlin.

 

Sheldon Man Sentenced To Ten Years In Prison For Lascivious Acts On A Child

(Orange City) -- A Sheldon man has been sentenced to ten years of prison for lascivious acts with a child.  Thomas VanHorsen, age 28, was sentenced on Monday in Sioux County District Court for two counts of lascivious acts with a child, a class C felony.  The case arose on October 13th when a man contacted the Rock Valley Police Department regarding inappropriate comments on his daughter's facebook page from VanHorsen.  An investigation revealed that VanHorsen had touched the 11 year old girl's genitals inappropriately on two occasions.  

 

House Passes Secret Settlements Bill

 DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A bill that would open state employee records to the public and put into law Gov. Terry Branstad's executive order prohibiting confidential settlement agreements has won the support of a divided Iowa House.
     The Republican-controlled House voted 63-35 Monday in favor of the legislation. It now goes to the Democratic-majority Senate, where its fate is unclear.
     The bill would forbid the use of confidentiality provisions and secret payments in settlement agreements between employees within the executive branch and the state. These agreements would be made accessible to the public online, along with termination or disciplinary action documents.
     Republican lawmakers say the intent is to increase government transparency. House Democrats say the bill is a premature response to the settlement issue.
 



 

Search KLEM

Banner

Banner

Stock Market

1 DOW 17,719.00
+33.27 (0.19%)    
2 S&P 2,052.75
+4.03 (0.20%)    
3 NASDAQ 4,701.87
+26.16 (0.56%)    

Copyright 2010, Powell Broadcasting, Website developed by iCast Interactive