Saturday, September 20, 2014
   
Text Size
Banner

Late Sunday House Fire

Photo courtesy of the Le Mars Fire Department

(Le Mars) -- The Le Mars Fire and Rescue Department was on the scene of a house fire located at 16123 Hickory Avenue, nearly 11 miles west of town.  The fire was reported Sunday evening at about 6:11 p.m.  Fire officials were on the scene for more than three hours battling the blaze. The home is owned by Joe and Lisa Lehner. Fire Chief Dave Schipper says smoke could be seen soon after leaving Le Mars.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

The home is adjacent to a country church, which allowed firefighters a staging area for their trucks and to shuttle water. Schipper describes the tactics used to fight the fire.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

The flames were so hot and intense that it started to melt two vehicles that were at least 20 feet away from the main fire.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

The family was operating their grill inside the garage and Schipper believes the grill was responsible for the blaze that destroyed the garage, breezeway, and kitchen area of the house.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

The Le Mars Fire Chief says this fire started in the garage area, and he explains why garage fires are often times the worst type of fires.

Listen to

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

There were no injuries related to the fire, but as Fire chief Schipper explains, two pet cats did perish in the fire.  Schipper says many of the family's belongings that were inside cabinets, dresser drawers, and closets, were able to be salvaged, although it did sustained heavy smoke damage. Schipper estimates the damage at more than $100,000 and says the home may be listed as a total loss.  The Le Mars Fire-Rescue Department was assisted at the scene by the Akron Fire Department, Le Mars Ambulance, Plymouth County Emergency Management, REC., and the American Red Cross. 

 

Search KLEM

Banner

Copyright 2010, Powell Broadcasting, Website developed by iCast Interactive