Tuesday News, October 23
Fire Reported at Amber Inn Motel
(Le Mars) -- Motel guests at Amber Inn were surprised when they smelled smoke last evening.
The Le Mars Fire Department was called to investigate the scene at about 8:20 p.m. and found
a recessed ceiling lamp had started a fire and began to burn the ceiling insulation. Le Mars Fire Chief Dave Schipper describes the scene.
The fire was contained in room 86 and Schipper says the fire damaged the wood frame joist. He says the another few minutes and the fire would have burn through the roof. Fortunately, there were no injuries associated with that fire, and Schipper says all motel guests were able to evacuate the premises, and later they were able to return to their rooms.
Schipper believes the cause of the fire may be contributed to the recessed ceiling can light perhaps had a bulb that was of greater wattage than what the fixture was capable of handling, and due to the fact the light was on for an extended period of time causing heat to build, is what started that fire.
Kingsley House Fire
(Kingsley) -- The Kingsley Fire Department responded to a house fire located on Brookview Drive in Kingsley. The alarm came in at about 4:50 p.m. and fire fighters were on the scene for more than three hours. Kingsley Fire Chief Scott Bohle says they believe the fire was started as a result of an electrical problem, but they are still conducting an investigation. Bohle says the ranch-style home will probably be listed as a total loss. Pierson fire department offered assistance to Kingsley with that fire.
Akron Fire Department Responds To A Fire
(Akron) -- Akron's Fire Department was called to a fire last evening at about 9:50 p.m. That fire was located on Railroad Drive. At this time we are not certain as to what was on fire, but officials were on the scene for an hour and a half.
Grass, Leaf, and Tree Disposal Site Open Again
(Le Mars) -- Clean up on the city leaf, grass, and tree site is near completion. Assistant City Administrator Bill Cole says the site will be open and manned from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Wednesdays, and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. In addition, the city will have the site open today, October 23rd as a way for people to catch up. The grass, leaf and tree disposal site will be open on Tuesday from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
Supervisors To Meet With Nieman To Discuss Mental Health Funding
(Le Mars) -- The Plymouth County Board of Supervisors are scheduled to meet again today at the County Courthouse. They will hear from Sharon Nieman the county CPC director and review and approve state mental health transition fund application.
Kindergarten Teachers Adapting New Teaching Styles
(Le Mars) -- Teaching Kindergarten students has advanced beyond the "See Spot...See Spot Run". Pam Reeves and Kim Rohrs, both Kindergarten teachers for the Le Mars Community Schools met with the local school board last evening to share with the board how they are teaching students the concept of words, phrases, and sentences based on sound. Rohrs says they are teaching students about Phonemic Awareness with young children. Before the teachers informed the board as to what is phonemic awareness, they first explained what it is not.
Rohrs told the school board that children who learn Phonemic Awareness know that sounds are the building blocks to our language, they can hear that sounds can make up a word, they can see the relationship between sounds, and they can change or re-arrange sounds to make new words. Rohrs says research has indicated that phonemic awareness is an important indicator in the child's ability to read and spell.
Rohrs continued to express the success of teaching phonemic awareness.
The teachers have been using the new teaching style for two years.