Wednesday, September 02, 2015
   
Text Size
Banner

News

Sunday News, August 30

Le Mars Police Search For Domestic Disturbance Suspect

(Le Mars) -- Police are looking for a suspect connected to a domestic disturbance at a Le Mars residence.  On Saturday afternoon, at about 3:40 p.m. Le Mars Police officers responded to a call of domestic disturbance.  The suspect fled the scene just prior to the police arrival.  Police officers notified other law enforcement agencies advising them of the suspect and the suspect's vehicle information.  A short time later, the suspect's vehicle was seen by a Merrill Police officer who attempted a traffic stop in Merrill.  The suspect did not initially comply, but did eventually stop his vehicle in Merrill at which time the suspect got into an altercation with the Merrill Police officer.  The suspect then fled on foot into a nearby cornfield and remains at large.  The investigation continues into this incident and charges are pending.  The Le Mars Police Department and the Merrill Police Department were assisted by the Plymouth County Sheriff's Office, Sioux County Sheriff's Office, Iowa State Patrol, Hinton Police Department, and Plymouth County Conservation.  An Iowa State Patrol airplane also assisted in attempting to locate the suspect.

 

 

 

Courthouse Security Working Well

SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) - Woodbury County officials say a courthouse security plan that was the source of public squabbling among county leaders is working well its first year.
People using the courthouse report feel more secure with access pared to one entrance with metal detectors, security employees and cameras throughout the building.
Woodbury County Board Chairman Mark Monson says incidents of courthouse shootings around the country spurred officials to develop a security plan for the Woodbury County Courthouse, which had not had comprehensive security since opening in 1918.
But sheriff's officials balked at a plan to hire retired law enforcement officers for security, instead of sheriff's deputies. At one point, officials considered hiring a consultant to help mediate conflicts between the county board and other county leaders.
---

 

 

 

Mall Shooting Trial To Be Moved To Story County

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - The trial for the man accused of killing a woman at Coral Ridge Mall in June has been moved from Johnson County to Story County.
The motion was filed earlier this month by an attorney for 22-year-old Alexander Kozak, who has pleaded not guilty to a murder charge in the June 12 slaying of 20-year-old Andrea Farrington.
Defense attorney Peter Persaud successfully argued that media attention of the mall shooting made it too difficult to find an impartial jury in eastern Iowa.
Johnson County District Judge Christopher Bruns also pushed back Kozak's trial to April 12. It had been set to begin in October.
---

 

 

 

 

Charles City School Board Candidate Freed After Sexually Abusing Child

CHARLES CITY, Iowa (AP) - A Charles City man running for a school board seat has been freed on $10,000 cash bond after being charged with sexually abusing a teenage boy four years ago.
59-year-old Doug Lindaman was charged Thursday with sexual abuse, accused of performing a sex act on a 17-year-old boy without the boy's consent.
Charles City Schools Superintendent Dan Cox says school officials can do little to keep Lindaman from attending school events or board meetings. Lindaman didn't immediately return a message left Saturday.
Lindaman was convicted in 1988 on two counts of lascivious acts with two minors. He's not listed on Iowa Sex Abuse Registry because his crimes occurred before the registry was created.
He's due back in court on September 4th.

 

 

 

 

Huxley Man Arrested For Sexual Assault

AMES, Iowa (AP) - Police have arrested a 26-year-old Huxley man for a sexual assault that occurred earlier this month at an Ames apartment.
Ryan Scott Evans has been charged with three counts of third-degree sexual abuse. He is being held without bond at the Story County Jail.
Iowa State University police say a sexual assault at an apartment was reported August 11th. Police say an investigation led to Evans' arrest on Friday.
A publicly listed phone number for Evans could not be found Saturday. It is not clear whether he yet has an attorney to represent him.

 

 

 

 

West Des Moines Police Seize Vehicle Suspected Of Hit-And-Run Fatal Accident

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - West Des Moines police say they have seized a "vehicle of interest" in their investigation of a fatal hit-and-run.
Police say that they are conducting forensic testing and witness interviews in the death of 21-year-old Daulton Holly. Holly's body was found around 2 a.m. Sunday by a passer-by along Raccoon River Drive in West Des Moines.
Police say they are still seeking information from the public..



   

Saturday News, August 29

State Board Of Medicine Will Not Appeal Court's Decision To Allow Telemedicine Abortions

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A medical board says it will not appeal an Iowa Supreme Court's decision that allows doctors to dispense abortion-inducing pills remotely via a teleconferencing system.
Iowa Board of Medicine Chairman Hamed Tewfik tells the Des Moines Register that the group will not appeal the June 19 decision to the U.S. Supreme Court. The board had 90 days to consider the option.
Tewfik tells the newspaper that board members consulted with attorneys and decided an appeal would have been a complicated process.
Planned Parenthood of the Heartland sued the board over a 2013 decision to require a doctor to be in the room with a patient when dispensing abortion-inducing medication. The Iowa Supreme Court agreed with Planned Parenthood's argument that the rule would have placed an undue burden on women.

 

 

 

Branstad Forms Working Group To Study Criminal Policies

ANKENY, Iowa (AP) - Gov. Terry Branstad says a working group will review Iowa's criminal justice practices to make recommendations for reform.
Branstad announced the group's formation Friday during a summit in Ankeny that addressed racial disproportionality in Iowa's criminal justice system.
The group will be given access to state agencies and other resources, and they will be expected to present a report with recommendations by November. Branstad says the deadline allows lawmakers to consider suggestions for the next legislative session.
The working group will include experts on justice policies, including a representative from the Iowa Attorney General's Office.
The summit Friday was organized by the Iowa-Nebraska State Area Conference of Branches for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

 

 

 

Judge Allows Prosecutors To Obtain Emails From Republican Consultant

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A judge is allowing federal prosecutors to obtain emails of a once-powerful Republican consultant from Google Inc.
U.S. District Judge John Jarvey rejected a request Friday to quash a warrant ordering Google to give prosecutors the contents of Jesse Benton's Gmail account, which he used to work on Ron Paul's 2012 presidential campaign and Sen. Mitch McConnell's 2014 re-election.
Benton and two others face charges in Iowa stemming from the 2012 campaign. Benton led presidential candidate Rand Paul's super PAC until his indictment this month.
Google told Benton last year it would comply with the warrant unless challenged. Benton did, arguing it was overly broad.
A magistrate upheld the warrant this month. Google didn't produce the records, giving Benton time to appeal. A Google attorney said Friday it would comply.

 

 

 

 

O'Malley Critical Of Decision To Hold Only Four Democratic Debates Before Iowa Caucus

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Former Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley is slamming the Democratic National Committee's decision to hold only four debates before the Iowa caucuses next February.
O'Malley says the move is "totally unprecedented" in the Democratic party and says "this sort of rigged process has never been attempted before."
As the party's chair, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, sat a few feet away from him, O'Malley asked: "Whose decree is it exactly? Where did it come from?"
His speech generated some applause in the ballroom but was a direct rebuke to DNC leaders, including Wasserman Schultz, who came up with the plan for six debates beginning in October and ending in February or March.
O'Malley says when Republicans can draw more than 20 million people to watch their first debate this month, it's important for the party to offer its own ideas.

 

 

 

 

Hillary Rodham Clinton Claims To Be The Standard Bearer For The Election

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Hillary Rodham Clinton is insisting she is the party's standard-bearer in next year's election, even as Vice President Joe Biden considers challenging her and Senator Bernie Sanders draws big crowds.
Pointing to big losses in the 2010 mid-term elections, Clinton says the party can't allow that to happen again and must rebuild "from the ground up."
Clinton says GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump is now the de facto leader of the Republican party. She says "the party of Lincoln has become the party of Trump."

 

 

 

Sanders Says Excitement At Rallies Will Be Instrumental At Election Time

 

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders says the excitement of rallies will be critical to electing Democrats in 2016.
Sanders is warning party leaders at the Democratic National Committee summer meeting in Minneapolis that the party will not retain the White House and recapture the House or Senate "unless we generate excitement and momentum and produce a huge voter turnout."
He tells DNC members he doesn't "mean to insult anyone here," but that type of turnout "will not happen with politics as usual. The same old, same old will not be successful."
That was apparently a reference to former first lady and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, the presumptive front-runner in the party's presidential nominating contest. Clinton has been dogged by questions about her emails and a private server she used as secretary of state.
Sanders says people understand that the nation doesn't need "more establishment politics or establishment economics."

 

 

 

Trump Holds A $100 A Plate Dinner, But Says It Is Not A Fundraiser

NORWOOD, Massachusetts (AP) - Republican Donald Trump held a $100-per-person campaign event - which he repeatedly insisted wasn't a fundraiser - outside of Boston on Friday evening as he backpedaled on his previous pledge not to accept contributions for his 2016 presidential campaign.
Trump said the money raised was only being used to offset the costs of the event and said people attending could choose to pay whatever they wanted.
That's despite multiple signs that were posted at the property's entrance telling those arriving, "Please have cash ready or make checks payable to: Donald J. Trump for President, Inc." and "Entry Fee $100 Per Person."
"This Is not a fundraiser tonight, just so you understand," Trump told reporters at the sprawling Norwood property owned by local car dealership owner Ernie Boch Junior.


 

 

 

 

 

 

   

Page 3 of 1393

Search KLEM

Banner

Banner

Stock Market

1 DOW 16,226.48
+168.13 (1.05%)    
2 S&P 1,933.53
+19.68 (1.03%)    
3 NASDAQ 4,695.92
+59.81 (1.29%)    

Copyright 2010, Powell Broadcasting, Website developed by iCast Interactive