Thursday News, July 16
Plymouth County Authorities Arrest Wanted Minnesota Man
(Le Mars) -- In the early morning hours of Wednesday, the Plymouth County Sheriff's Office became aware of a wanted person out of Minnesota that was at430 Catherine Street in Oyens. When deputies went to that location they believed the subject fled out of the back of the residence. At 6:41AM the Sheriff'sOffice received a call from a concerned citizen about some suspicious activity in Oyens. The caller report a black male comes from behind a shed and getting into a vehicle and quickly leaving the area. This matched the description of the wanted person. Deputies located a vehicle matching the
description at Hwy 3 and Nature ave. A traffic stop was conducted and with the assistance of the Le Mars Police Department Trayon Maurice Berry age
36 of Minneapolis was taken into custody. Berry was wanted out of Minnesota for Predatory Offender Knowingly Violates registration requirements an A
Felony. Berry is being held at the Plymouth County jail on NO bond and is awaiting extradition to Minnesota.
Sioux City Man Sentenced To Two Consecutive Life Sentences For Murders
SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) - A Sioux City man has been sentenced to two consecutive life sentences for the shooting deaths of two people and attempted killing of a third person.
Twenty-eight-year-old Juan Nino-Estrada was sentenced Wednesday after a judge refused his request for a new trial.
Prosecutors say Nino-Estrada killed Michael Delgado of Sioux City and Yolanda Valdez of Orange City during a disturbance at Luis Sanchez's house. He was also convicted of wounding Sanchez, also of Sioux City.
The shootings took place in November 2014.
Former Doctor Forfeits Medical License
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A former western Iowa physician accused of molesting young patients years ago has surrendered his state medical license.
82-year-old Wing Tai Fung recently surrendered his medical license, according to documents released Wednesday by the Iowa Board of Medicine.
The documents say Fung also agreed to pay a $10,000 fine.
Fung, now of Ontario, Canada, pleaded guilty earlier this year to assault with intent to commit sexual abuse and indecent contact with a child, both misdemeanors.
A criminal complaint accused Fung of molesting a 10-year-old girl in January 1999 while treating her for a knee sprain at Myrtue Medical Center in Harlan, Iowa. He received a sentence of probation and must register as a sex offender in Iowa.
Lottery Chief Testifies At Trial
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A former lottery security chief testifying at his ex-coworker's fraud trial over a Hot Lotto winning ticket says the top threat to any lottery's integrity can be its own employees.
Ed Stefan, a former chief security officer for the Urbandale-based Multi-State Lottery Association, says expert information technology employees with ill intentions can be dangerous.
Stefan spoke Wednesday during the trial of 52-year-old Eddie Tipton, who faces two counts of fraud.
Prosecutors say Tipton installed a malicious self-deleting computer program to pick numbers for the Dec. 23, 2010, Hot Lotto drawing. They say he bought a ticket with those numbers and unsuccessfully tried to get others to cash it without disclosing the buyer. Tipton denies the accusations.
Newspapers Want Additional Presidential Candidates To Participate In Debates
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - A trio of newspapers in the early presidential nominating states is pushing back against the plan by Fox News to allow only 10 Republican candidates on stage in its August 6th debate, the first of the 2016 campaign.
The New Hampshire Union Leader plans to host a candidate forum Aug. 3 at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics, in partnership with The Post and Courier of Charleston, S.C., and The Gazette of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The event will be live on C-SPAN as well as TV stations in Iowa and South Carolina and a New Hampshire radio station.
All 15 candidates now in the Republican pack have been invited to participate and about half have committed so far.
Vilsack Says Food Stamp Recipients Should Not Have To Take Drug Test
MADISON, Wis. (AP) - U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack says federal law bars the drug testing of food stamp recipients that Wisconsin plans.
Vilsack responded Wednesday to a lawsuit filed by Wisconsin Attorney General Brad Schimel asking a federal judge to declare that state budget provisions requiring food stamp recipients to undergo drug testing are legal.
In a statement, Vilsack says Congress has "repeatedly rejected the expensive, intrusive practice of suspicion-less drug testing," which Vilsack says has been shown to uncover "very little drug use."
The USDA has not yet seen Schimel's lawsuit, which was filed Tuesday.
The budget Republican Governor Scott Walker signed Sunday contains language requiring food stamp recipients to undergo drug screening. If they fail the screen they must go through drug testing and treatment to remain eligible for the benefit. Walker is a declared 2016 GOP presidential contender.