Tuesday Afternoon News, March 24
Updated Information Regarding Early Morning Accident
(Le Mars) -- Two vehicles collided with each other this morning resulting in an accident that sent two people to the hospital. 35 year old Lynne Uhl of Le Mars sustained serious injuries when her car t-boned an utility truck being driven by 38 year old Donald Oranian of Omaha, Nebraska. According to a police investigation report, a semi truck and trailer was making a right hand turn on 24th Street southwest when Oranian pulled alongside the semi. As the semi truck was making its turn, it was shielding the oncoming vehicle driven by Uhl from Oranian's line of sight. Oranian entered the southbound traffic on Business Highway 75 when Uhl's vehicle struck him. Uhl had to be extricated from her vehicle by the Le Mars Fire and Rescue Department. Both drivers were transported to the Floyd Valley Hospital by the Le Mars Ambulance services.
Neunaber To Have Another Hearing Scheduled For Friday
(Le Mars) -- A court hearing will be held Friday in the case of an Akron, Iowa man charged with first degree murder in the death of his mother. A hearing in the case of 45 year old Jonathon Neunaber will be held Friday in Plymouth County District court. Court documents filed by Neunaber's attorney claim that the suspect did not have legal counsel when he was arrested and interviewed by authorities in Wisconsin last year. Neunaber's attorney wants statements made and evidence taken in Wisconsin thrown out of the case. A hearing motion to suppress will take place at 11:15 a.m. in Le Mars before Judge Steven Andreasen.
Traffic Stop Leads To Arrest
(Le Mars) -- A traffic stop on South Ridge Road Saturday afternoon has resulted in a man being charged with possession of marijuana. 32 year old Charles Gordon of Sioux City was placed under arrest for a second offense. He was transported to the Plymouth County jail.
Rags Soaked With Linseed Oil Determined To Be Cause Of Orange City House Fire
(Orange City) -- More information is now known relating to the Orange City home that caught on fire Saturday evening. The fire was determined to be accidental in origin. Fire officials believe the most probable cause of the fire was the result of spontaneous combustion due to unattended linseed oil rags left in a bucket near the rear of the residence. The fire then spread from the rags, igniting the back of the home, up toward the roof area. The ranch style home located at 303 Kentucky Avenue Northwest sustained an estimated $150,000 in damages.
North West Rural Electric Cooperative Holds District Meeting
(Le Mars) -- Northwest Rural Electric Cooperative held its district meeting last evening at Le Mars. CEO for the electrical cooperative, Lyle Korver, told the members the local power utility cooperative is doing well.